The new Miss Michigan has been crowned.
Miss Shoreline Emily Sioma was crowned winner of the 2018 Miss Michigan Scholarship Pageant at the final night of the competition, Saturday, June 16 at the Frauenthal Center.
With 32 contestants in the competition’s 68th year, young women ages 19-24 competed in the two preliminary nights of the pageant on Thursday and Friday at the Frauenthal Center in downtown Muskegon.
The women who were competing to be Miss Michigan 2018 were representing represented counties throughout Michigan.
With her crowning, Sioma earns the statewide title, $12,000 in scholarship money and the opportunity to take part in the Miss America Scholarship Pageant, which will take place in September in Atlantic City, N.J.
Sioma was crowned by Heather Kendrick, who was Miss Michigan 2017.
Sioma, 24, is from Grass Lake. She graduated from the University of Michigan.
Ashlee Baracy-Kunkel is serving as the Mistress of Ceremonies during the 2018 Miss Michigan competition. Baracy-Kunkel was crowned Miss Michigan in 2008.
Judges Christopher Schram, Frances C. Kendall, Sandra M. Vanderhyde, Jennifer Pascua and Marcia Redmon Bowen chose Sioma after seeing her performances throughout the last few days of the competition.
The top twelve semi-finalists (in no particular order) were:
- Miss Stateline Vivian Zhong of Northville
- Miss Shoreline Emily Sioma of Grass Lake
- Miss Washtenaw County Patricia Sholtis of Saline
- Miss Heartland Emily Rice Smith of Grand Rapids
- Miss Danish Festival Mollie Rodenhouse of Gowen
- Miss Saginaw County Shelby Saint Souver of Saginaw
- Miss Bridge Fest Katherine Daniel of Waterford
- Miss Lakeshore Ashton Strother of Ann Arbor
- Miss Oakland County Emma Seidel of West Bloomfield
- Miss Tip of the Mitt Jenna Holt of Davison
- Miss Downriver Mallory Rivard of Bay City
- Miss Monroe County Brooklyn Lambert of Monroe
The top five finalists included:
- First runner-up – Miss Downriver Mallory Rivard
- Second runner-up – Miss Bridge Fest Katherine Daniel
- Third runner-up – Miss Oakland County Emma Seidel
- Fourth runner-up – Miss Lakeshore Ashton Strother
Other scholarship awards include:
- Kaye Lani Rae Rafko-Wilson Community Service Award $500: Miss Saginaw County Shelby Saint Souver
- National Academic Scholarship Award $1,000: Miss River Raisin Festival Jenna Stahl
- National Community Service Award $1,000: Miss Bay County Jealeen Davis
- Michigan STEM Scholarship $5,000: Miss Huron Shores Kara Terry
- Excellence in Interview Award $500: Miss Shoreline Emily Sioma
- Non-Finalist Interview Award $250: Miss St. Clair Shores Shelby McPherson
- Non-Finalist Talent Award $500: Miss West Michigan Erica Kennedy
- Miss Congeniality Award $500: Miss Tip of the Mitt Jenna Holt
- People’s Choice Awards $500: Miss Bridge Fest Katherine Daniel and Miss Danish Festival Mollie Rodenhouse
- The Shelley Taylor Lead-With-Your-Heart Award $500: Miss Spirit of the State Shelby Lentz